Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 17:46:05 -0400
From:      dave@hawk-systems.com (Dave)
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Change disk size..

below

Can't agree with that more...  ran into a similar circumstance with
heavy usage server filling up a small VAR partition...  had to symlink
the entire log tree from var over to usr/var...  system and progs
don't know the difference, and streamlined var partition back to <5%

find out what is causing the problem, drop to single user mode, move
the problem files or directories to a new location (USR is usually
obese enough) and symlink back to the original location, then run up
the system again.

single user mode may not be required is you aren't working with hot
files like qmail directories, logs, or other easily corruptible
material.

Dave