Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:41:10 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LaTeX oder teTeX

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:51:25PM +0000, Christian Walther wrote:
>=20
> a few years ago I got a good introduction to TeX, but for some reason
> stopped using it. Now I want to pick up where I left. I found LaTeX and
> teTeX in ports, so I wonder what the best tex distribution is.
> According to the teTeX website there will be no further development (at
> least not from its original author Thomas Esser). Is LaTeX a better
> candidate?

It looks like the LaTeX in ports is even older than teTeX.

The best TeX distribution for UNIX these days is TeXLive. It is a very
complete TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt distribution. You can
download an iso image here: http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html
You'll have to build the binaries yourself, because the pre-built
FreeBSD binaries are for 4.x, i.e. out of date. But it's not that difficult.

> There should be some support for (or by) LyX, because I would like to
> use LyX to get start. I know that TeX has a steep learning curve and I
> hope to reduce it with LyX so that I can dive into TeX while working on
> my projects.

If you're relatively new to the TeX world, start with the ConTeXt macro
package for TeX, because it is very actively developed. And it's easier
than plain TeX.

If you want something easier, and you don't care if it doesn't look quite
as nice as (La)TeX try OpenOffice or Koffice.=20

Roland
--=20

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx

--zYM0uCDKw75PZbzx--