Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:54:54 -0600
From:      David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IRQ problems when configuring ethernet card

I'm running a FreeBSD 5-CURRENT snapshot from Dec. 6, and trying to
configure an AmbiCom Cardbus ethernet card.  I've included cardbus, pccbb,
miibus, and dc (the driver for AMB 8100 cards) in my kernel, and enabled
use of DHCP.  When I boot, I get "watchdog timeout" errors that appear to
be due to the fact that my graphics controller and ethernet card are
assigned the same IRQ.  From dmesg:

pci0: <NeoMagic MagicGraph 128XD SVGA controller> (vendor=0x10c8,
dev=0x0004) at 2.0 irq 11
dc0: <Intel 21143 10/100BaseTX> port 0x3000-0x307f mem
0x18040000-0x1807ffff,0x18022000-0x180223ff irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus0

If I try to boot -c and change the IRQ used by my ethernet card, it doesn't
work, since 'ls' does not show dc0 as being loaded.  Any ideas on how I
could resolve this issue?  Kernel config file, dmesg, and dmesg for a boot
-v are available if that would help.  Thanks.

(Please cc: replies to me; I'm not subscribed to -questions.)

-David Syphers

            Charon@freethought.org
            http://www.seektruth.org/

"I mean, how many of us can honestly say that
at one time or another he hasn't felt sexually
attracted to mice.  I know I have."
     -Kargol, Monty Python's Flying Circus