Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:54:37 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Rici Lake <rlake@oxfam.org.pe>
Cc:        Jeff Hamilton <hjeffrey@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portmap in hosts.allow configuration notes. Was Re: /etc/hosts.allow

> The twist option cannot work other than in inetd mode. It causes the
> calling process to be replaced (through the execl(3) system call) with an
> configured shell process. If the calling process intended to hang around
> for a while to answer more requests, it's in for a surprise.

The wrapper library has a variable "resident". It looks like can
be set to indicate that your are a process like portmap, sshd or
sendmail, who doesn't want to be execed out of existance. I guess
this should be set in these programs before any wrapper stuff is
called - I haven't checked to see if it is, but I'll have a look.

	David.