Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:48:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      fbsd2 <fbsd2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to downgrade X 4.3 --> 4.2?

Hi folks,

   I seem to have opened a (new) can of worms by
cvsuping the ports tree and doing
#portupgrade -Ra

which moved me from XFree86 4.2.0 to 4.3.0 (meta-port).
I'd most like to find out what the problem is eg, see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xfree86&m=106537114610303&w=2

but was wondering if I could work around it by backing
out the upgrade.  I know I can back out an upgrade to
the OS by cvsuping to an older date and making world.
But how does one back out a port as complex as X?  Is it
as simple as downloading an appropriately old version of
the meta-port makefile, eg from
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/XFree86-4/Makefile

say revision 1.142 and

#portupgrade -fR XFree86

or perhaps I would need to get older versions of all the
files in the meta port? Or would I need older versions of
all files in all the dependencies also?  I suppose I could
cvsup my whole ports tree to the date of the older meta
port makefile, do the portupgrade, then cvsup the ports
tree again to get back up to date, refusing changes to the
x11 category.  Anyone with hints or suggestions other than
'restore disk from backup', or 'do clean install on new
disk'?  TIA.

Alex