Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 08:04:49 -0800
From:      Eric =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hedstr=F6m?= <erich@ucsd.edu>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        Kenan <info@djkenan.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600 Power Management Issues (HD turned on and off)

Do you all have apm enabled in your kernels and rc.conf files? My 560X
does not do this, running 4.5-release or -stable from last weekend. I
have apm enabled in the kernel (removed the word "disable"):

device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20

in dmesg it shows up thus:

apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

and in rc.conf:

apm_enable="YES"
apmd_enable="YES"

The reason I ask is that in my old Thinkpad, a 701C, the hard drive
would just shut down when I closed the lid (making the system quite
unhappy, getting the filesystem yanked out from under it), until I
enabled apm. It's running 4.5-release. The 701C reports its apm as v1.1.

hope this helps,
Eric