Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:51:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different OS's? Marketshare

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> [...] I keep wondering if [...] I should just continue with FreeBSD
> and install X on the machine (and KDE, probably, since it seems to be
> popular, although I welcome suggestions).
>
> Which window manager is the closest to classic UNIX window managers
> (as opposed to wannabe Windows products)?

It's not clear what you mean by "classic UNIX window managers" - maybe
CDE or Motif? In any case I've never used them and can't answer that
specific question.

As for the former... I installed KDE on my 4.10 machine a while ago just
to have a look-see, and it seemed *very* Windows-y to me. "Start" menu,
integrated file/web browser, etc. I don't care for it, and didn't bother
reinstalling it after going to 5.3. If you don't want a "wannabe Windows
product", I think you might not like KDE. Plus, the KDE meta-port takes
MANY hours to install from ports - at least on my now-modest hardware
and mid-speed DSL line.

Before and after KDE, I've been using fvwm2 - it's a relatively plain
but very configurable window manager, though I suppose you could make it
as fancy as you wanted.

For a rundown of various WMs, see http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]