Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:23:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>, Mike Burgett <mburgett@awen.com>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Q] 2.2.5 bind release

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > I'm 99.9% sure it'll be 4.9.6.  8.1.1 has the strongest nameserver but its
> > > resolver library is sorely lacking and would probably cause many packages
> > > to break.
> >
> >   Has FreeBSD ever use the BIND resolver library?  It seems to me that the
> > FreeBSD resolver is whole mix of different things, and is not 4.9.6
> > either.
>
> What sort of dopey question is this?  Have a look at src/contrib/bind
> and decide for yourself what FreeBSD uses.

  Just for named, nslookup, etc.  The 4.9.6 resolver has no support for
/etc/host.conf, and yet the FreeBSD resolver does...

  Please refrain from derogatory comments.  They are unprofessional, and
don't belong on the list.

> >   Besides the BIND resolver is mainly for systems that come with such a
> > useless/broken resolver that anything is better (ex SunOS 4.1).
>
> Not by half.

  Really?  The 4.9.6 resolver has no support for /etc/host.conf and
/etc/hosts.  Nearly everybody has hacked their own goodies into the
resolver, and so has FreeBSD.

> mike

Tom