Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:31:17 +0200
From:      usleepless@gmail.com
To:        joe@netmusician.org
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon 7000 and Hauppauge 250

Hi Joe,

> My understanding is that if I want to be able to continue to watch TV
> on my TV while the signal is connected to my PC/Hauppauge card, I'll
> need to output from the PC back to the TV.

first let me try to understand your situation:

  1. you get your tv-signal from satelite, with an external tuner
  2. you want to be able to record shows when you are not watching tv

in the non digital age, you would watch tv through a vcr which is
connected to the external tuner ( settopbox ). to watch livetv you
would turn the vcr on, and zap with the settopbox-remote. the vcr
would only record when you are  not watching tv/video ( and would need
a way to control the settopbox ).

right?

if you were on cable, things would be more easy: you could create a
recording/viewing box, and keep the normal tv-tuner for watching
livetv.

so because of the settopbox, you need the whole shebang ( spelled
right? ). you need a mce/mythtv solution which integrates livetv and
recording.

don't underestimate this:
  - the machine must be always-on
  - you need to use irblaster from pvr-card to control settopbox ( is
this supported by the pvr250 port ? i don't think so, i may be wrong )
  - with only one source/tuner there are litte benefits: the only
feature you get is recording shows while you are not watching a show
  - mythtv is a beast, there is no ports port, and only runs well on FBSD >=
 4
  - want teletext/cc ? you will need about the newest ivtv-driver (
linux only for the moment )

if you are going for it, i would suggest knoppmyth or whatever.

i am running 3 myth-machines:
 - 1 xbox client ( xebian + custom myth-compile )
 - 1 freebsd 6.0 client/slave server ( pvr500) + custom myth-compile (
radeon 7000 btw )
 - 1 freebsd 4.11 master server ( pvr500 ) using linuxthreads with
custom myth-compile

my custom build is based on an unofficial freebsd-port from some
japanse guy ( google for myth and freebsd ). i have patched it
extensively, to get rid of all the busy-wait synchronizing ( and other
stuff ).

> My ATI Radeon 7000 32 MB PCI does have an S-video output on it. How
> would I begin to determine whether FreeBSD would support the video
> out back to my TV (or is this not software dependent?), and is there
> anyway of determining whether I have enough horsepower to do what I'm
> trying to do? My knowledge of hardware is somewhat lacking... :(

from my understanding, FreeBSD will support anything in X what linux
supports. i think tv-out for radeon is supported, google for it. ATI
is not very cooperative regarding oss-driver development if i
understand correctly. you might be better off with NVidia. anyone
correct me if i am wrong.

your hardware will very likely be sufficient. i am running a
mythtv-client on my xbox ( P3 733 ). in your case there will be
running a mythtv-backend ( recording process )  running as well. but
recording with a pvrXXX is very light on your processor, but all the
bits will have to be transferred over the bus/to the hd.

regards,

usleep