Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:28:23 -0800
From:      Nathan Boeger <nathan@khmere.com>
To:        "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   /dev/random strangeness

I have looked through the list (I am new to this list) and saw some
mention of the /dev/random. However I have a strange problem that was
not mentioned. After I did a proper make world and updated my system to
5.0-CURRENT, my /dev/random services do not "start ?".

So if I where to do a make depend or start vi etc... anything that needs
this device it will  hang and wait. Now if I do someting like echo
"100" >> /dev/random then it pops into service.

Why ?

I have remade all my devices in /dev and  added:

device          random          # Entropy device
options        NOBLOCKRANDOM   # avoid any blocking on device random

options to my kernel and rebuilt it, however this does not seem to help.

any help would be greatly apprecieated.

thank you

nathan