Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:36:46 +0000
From:      Miguel Clara <miguelmclara@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Order of geli "passphrase prompt" on boot

Sorry to bring this one back but I see no changes have been made to this in
current.

The issue is that USB devices are detected after the geli prompt and so the
"geli paraphrase" prompt becomes hidden, and the simple solution would be
to change the order the prompt show.... as in wait a few secs for the usb
devices to be detected.

Also the FreeBSD installer includes the zfs+geli install options, which
encrypts root, so any user can do it now, yet when they boot they won't
even see the passphrase prompt, which to me is really not inviting when we
want to bring over the linux folks!

Some linux distros even allow you to type the passphrase for the device in
a neat prompt (black background mint logo ec...) but I don't think we need
to go that far, that's probably something PC-BSD folks can do though (if
they don't already).

I understand tough that what some times seems simple from user perspective
its really not for devs, so my question is: Is this a hard change to
implement, and by change I just mean change the order or wait a few secs
for usb device detection, or somehow stop this detection of the devices to
"spam" the screen until a passphrase is entered!?

Thanks

Melhores Cumprimentos // Best Regards
*Miguel Clara*
*IT - Sys Admin & Developer*