Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:38:20 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Randy Porter <rporter@jnpcs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM devices appearing twice as /dev/cd0a and /dev/cd0c

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 11:08:39PM -0400, Randy Porter wrote:

> I ran MAKEDEV for the additional 4 CD drives, and I now have devices for
> all five CDs, but it seems like they all appear twice, as both a cdXa
> and cdXc.

This is normal.  For disks, the "a" partition is normall the first
partition, and the "c" partition is a "fake" partition which refers
to the disk as a whole.

Try "disklabel da0" or "disklabel wd0" (former SCSI, latter IDE) to
see the label for your hard disk.  You will probably see a bunch of
partitions, maybe a, b, d, e, and so on; there will also be a
partition "c" which is the size of the whole disk.

As you have observed, for the cd device, the "first" partition and
the "whole disk" partition are basically the same.  I don't know if
there are any differences at all.

Matt

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Stay close to the Vorlon.