Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:31:00 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bea@mail.dotcom.fr
Subject:   Re: IDE CDROM On soundblaster + 4 IDE Hard disks

Didier Derny:
 |is it possible to connect 4 hard disks on the
 |ide controllers of a motherboard
 |
 |and an ide cdrom on a soundblaster board

Vallo Kallaste:
 |Yes, it is. I have currently 6 ide devices working correctly.
 |You must define the third controller and disks under those in your kernel
 |config file _and_ define this controller in the isa.h file
 |(/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/isa.h). My third controller sits under the IRQ line
 |10 and I/O 0x3e8/0x3ee. Those parameters are assingned my PnP BIOS. You
 |must know these parameters exactly.

I see you already have one good reply.  I also am doing just this on a
SoundBlaster32 card.  Though I have my CD-ROM hanging of my motherboard's
secondary IDE, and a cheapo hard disk hanging off my blaster.

Relevent kernel config:

controller wdc2   at isa? port "IO_WD3" bio irq 11 flags 0xa0ffa004 vector
 wdintr
disk       wd4    at wdc2 drive 0

(remove flags <flags> if you're not running -current)

Adding a #define to isa.h to isa.h is definitely the best route.
Otherwise, even with specifying '0x1e8' in place of '"IO_WD3"' above,
you'll still have to hot-patch ioconf.c after each kernel config since it
inserts an erroneous "(null)" in one spot where an "0x1e8" is needed.

The only follow up to Vallo's advice I'd make is AFAIK tertiary IDE is
typically at port 0x1e8 (as in the #define above).  0x3e8 is typically
COM3.  The isa.h define below is what I use for the IDE on my SB32.

#define IO_WD3          0x1e8           /* Tertiary Fixed Disk Controller */

Randall