Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2003 07:38:26 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        billg <wgerrard@f-m.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4-clients Build Failing

On Saturday 18 October 2003 06:52 am, billg wrote:
> Thanks.  That fixed it.
>
> I'm not sure, though, how "libraries' was deleted.  Here's what how I
> did the ports upgrade, after building the portupgrade port:
>
> 1. cvsup ./ports-supfile (stock ports-supfile pointing to
> cvsup3.freebsd.org)
> 2. make index && make readmes
> 3. portsdb -Uu
> 4. portsversion -l "<"
> 5. pkgdb -F (portsversion found stale ORBit; I went with pkgdb
> default responses)
> 6. portupgrade -aRr
>
> Prior to this, I'd installed the lynx port and the epiphany port,
> which, of course, brought in Mozilla, XFree86 and Gnome2. Did that
> not install the libaries port?

The Xfont library was installed by the new -libraryies. Then, you
updated -server and it deleted them. The new -server didn't reinstall
them. So, you have to reinstall -libraries to get Xfont back.

The problem came about because Xfont was moved from one piece of XFree86
to the other. This is one type of upgrade that portupgrade can't handle
automatically. If you had deleted -server before you ran portupgrade
with -arR, you probably wouldn't have had any problems.

There is another problem with gettext. You have to force rebuild the
codes that have it as a dependancy.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart