Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 22:23:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        "Question@FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Booting "semi"-diskless?

I'm looking for some pointers on booting some of the machines around here
"semi"-diskless.  The machines in question run dos and windows all day
long but, they're idle in the evening.  I cant go around and put root/boot
partitions on them and I cant put a boot bios on the cards for obvious
reasons.  What I'd like to do is stroll around whistling and innocently
put a floppy in them press reset, have them fire up FreeBSD.  When I'm
through I just halt the machine and remove the floppy.

I've gathered, from TFM and some guessing that I need to do something like:

	on floppy ( wild ass guess )
		minimum kernel with NFS (?)
		something to do with bootp (?)

	on FreeBSD box
		setup for as a bootp server
		export /usr and some SWAP space for each (?)

it seems that If I put a kernel on the floppy (If I can) to boot from
that this will become my root filesystem and then need /etc, etc...
making things REALLY slow.

The distribution boot.flp comes to mind as a possible model.  (excuse the
random ramblings)

suggestions or pointers?  or where in TFM I should look

---
Rob Snow
rsnow@txdirect.net