Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:15:08 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck lasting several hours (and then forever) after crash

Hello lists (sorry for crossposting),
  This is kind of serious for me. Here is what happened: I portupgraded
  the native version of mozilla to 1.1 and fired it up. It crashed and took X
  with it. Keyboard and mouse where dead, I had to press the reset button.
    So the system rebooted and reached automatic fsck. Checked /, /var, /tmp
  and then, when going to /usr it stopped. And stood stopped. I've had it
  running 17 hours now, nothing. Booting into single user I do /sbin/fsck,
  which works nicely until here:

  Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
  INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=1702863 (4 should be 0)
  CORRECT [yn]

  No matter what I enter (tried both y and n) it goes on and then lasts
  forever. No harddisk-noise, no nothing. I really don't know why this is
  happening. fsck does not bail out or say anything, it just does nothing
  after above message. No CTRL-C, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, no nothing helps.

  Since I needed the system I edited /etc/rc and commented out the "exit 1"
  part where it refuses going to multiuser when any of the file systems is
  marked 'dirty', then added the -f flag to mount. That way I got it back
  running, but how do I repair my /usr partition now without fsck failing to
  do its job? Has anybody a pointer for me, an idea or anything else I could
  try to repair /usr? I know that what I did is quite a dirty "workaround".

Thanks in advance, anything is greatly appreciated.
regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos |	"A cynic is a man who knows the price of
	ant@overclockers.at   |	everything, and the value of nothing."