Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:48:03 -0700
From:      "Angus Scott-Fleming" <angussf@geoapps.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Directory Services

On 12 Jan 00, at 12:50, Craig Beasland wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a couple of questions about directory services.
>
> We have a client who currently uses NDS, can anyone tell me or point me to
> somewhere which describes what is "directory services".  How does Novell DS
> compare to the new MS Active Directory and to LDAP.

Depends on who's doing the comparing.  M$ has some serious FUD out on
this.  Novell has some propaganda, too, but it is based on a shipping
product with 7-8 years of experience, while MAD is still vaporware
(although it may not be by the time you read this).  I've looked for
a while but can't find a URL to a recent Novell white-paper comparing
& contrasting the two.

NDS is a database that manages user permissions, printers, queues,
disks, servers, applications, and more.  NDS will support LDAP so you
can run LDAP in conjunction with NDS for LDAP-enabled applications.
NDS also supports NT4 right now, so you can manage NT servers from
NDS, and it will reportedly support MAD when it ships.
support.novell.com/documentation should have some useful info.

> Is there some directory services protocol that runs on FreeBSD.  So far,
> everything that runs on NT (server services I am talking about) seems to run
> better on FreeBSD, so why should Novell be any different?

Novell is a solid OS.  I recently saw a screen-dump of an Uptime
screen for a Novell server with 2106 days of uptime.

I'm pretty sure someone out there has something for NDS for Linux,
but I don't know how portable it'll be to *BSD.  Caldera has netware
for linux, but it's bindery (pre-NDS) and doesn't work with NDS.

Angus Scott-Fleming      GeoApplications, Tucson, Arizona
angussf@geoapps.com   1-520-323-9170 / fax 1-208-248-3124