Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:24:26 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <i18n@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: iconv port: plea for take-over

On 02/15/02 17:28, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru> wrote:
> Unless somebody will take its maintainership, we need to switch to GNU
> iconv and mark iconv as BROKEN. Currently iconv have several problems
> which affects ports badly (like dead loops). GNU iconv libs/headers at
> this moment installed with non-default "g"  prefix so require more
> ports patching efforts to use it.

Whilst I am certain that having GNU iconv as the "One True Ports Iconv" on
which other stuff depends (and also removing the bazillions of hacks because
we install it a *giconv, I count 25 ports that currently depend on the iconv
port.  If (a) this is sufficient collatoral damage and (b) at least some of
them also work with GNU iconv, then I have no problem in initiating the
de-orbit burn sequence for the other iconv (and mark as BROKEN="old iconv"
the other ports).

I would definitely want to see a concerted yes from both ports committers
and i18n (to the extent that a Reviewed by: ports, i18n would be acceptable)
before flipping the switch.

There would also be temporary breakage elsewhere in the tree as the
giconv->iconv transition is made.  It might be possible for one person to do
that as a single mega-commit, though.

-aDe