Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:11:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Keith Walker <kew@icehouse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using BIND in a local, bogus network

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Keith Walker wrote:

> I've been perusing all of the FAQ's, reading TFM's, answered a few of some
> other folk's questions, now it's my turn to ask:
>
> I hope this is detailed enough.
>
> 1. I have a local network, consisting of three machines, one of which is a
> FreeBSD machine running as a firewall/NAT thingie.
>
> 2. The firewall is connected to the net through a dial up modem.
>
> 3. The LAN is set up on 192.168.0.x/24
>
> What I want to do is have a bogus domain, like "family.bog" (a new TLD
> invented just for bogus sites like mine :-), with the other machines on the
> LAN having names such as "pepsi.family.bog" and "coke.family.bog".
>
> In my perfect world, the firewall would have a named running that would be a
> domain master for the bogus network, would cache "real" addresses, and just
> generally, DTRT.
>
> I've had *some* success with this, but I cannot get the nameserver to quit
> forcing dial-outs, keeping the modem connected almost 24/7.
>
> Ok, so:
>
> 1) How come the named program keeps dialing out?
> 2) How can I prevent this?
> 3) Are nameservers designed to run only on full time systems?
> 4) Is there a better way of doing this?

A little more detail: for instance, does your NS also think it's
authoritative for the 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. domain?

jan

PS. If that doesn't work you could always try 'faking' a root NS :-)

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
Goedel would be proud - I'm both inconsistent _and_ incomplete.