Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:16:41 -0500
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Approval to fix non-GCC users of <stdarg.h>

[re@ probably doesn't need to be CC'd on this thread.  I'm sure they
have enough mail to read, but I'll include them anyway.]

Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> The following patch fixes <stdarg.h> for use on i386 with
> non-GCC consumers...  __va_size is defined inside an if GNUC
> block, but not used solely within an if GNUC block.  This
> allows me to compile a number of pieces of software I work
> on with TenDRA 4.1.2 on -CURRENT again.
>
> It only "affects" things that would break, behaviour stays
> the same for modern GCC (unrelated block) and for old GCC
> (definition still in scope).
>
> I'd like to get approval to get this in for 5.0.

I sent David O'Brien a similar patch about a week ago.  IIRC, he's
already seeking re@ approval.  There are some other issues which
prevented me from completing the latest TenDRA snapshot build.

1. The new #warning in <sys/syslimits.h> isn't #if __GNUC__ ... #endif
protected.  Adding the protection doesn't fix it for some reason (ie.
it's complaining about unknown CPP syntax in a conditional that
doesn't apply.)  I haven't looked to see what the C rule is for this,
but I suspect TenDRA is doing something wrong.

2. TenDRA assumes an older POSIX system and makes wrong assumptions
about some limits it happens to duplicate in its version of
<limits.h>.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft