Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:21:42 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel stack contents visible from userland

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9911171152270.8195-100000@kronos.alcnet.com> Kelly Yancey writes:
:   Is there any security concern with a portion of the kernel's stack being
: visible from userland? The reason I ask is that while investigating
: another issue, I noticed that stat family of calls (and probably others)
: leave kernel stack contents into userland via spare struct stat fields (I
: imagine other structures have similar behavior with regards to the padding
: between fiels for alignment).

These patches look good.  I wonder if there might be an easier way to
accomplish this.  I don't see anything here that is a security risk,
per se, since most of the stat struct is always filled in before the
copyout.  Which fields in stat are not explicitly used?  I would have
expected them all to be filled in in all cases.  It would likely be
faster to just wonk on st_lspare and st_qspare[2] in cvstat...

Warner