Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 22:49:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/contrib/tcsh - Imported sources

Peter,

I general I agree with your summary, but would like to object changing the
root shell at this point.  I'd also like to throw in that I think moving
towards a shell with decent locality support is a good idea--sh does not
have this right now, so I'd object to switching to sh until we get
localization support for error messages.  I may be wrong in my reading of
the source, but it looks like tcsh comes out of the box with support for
messages in English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, and
Spanish.  Could someone comment on the current localization status of both
our current sh, and any other proposed alternatives for a root shell?

I admit I come at this as a csh person who would really prefer to see csh
continue to be the root shell (maximizing consistency from the perspective
of documentation :-), but I think localization and internationalize are
important issues in UI-centric changes such as this.

  Robert N M Watson