Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:45:31 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD???

Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>   Microsoft needs a "business quality" version of Windows,
>  which it claims is Windows/2000.   That version of Windows
>  could benefit from a 64-bit port, if for marketing only; but
>  I don't think it would result in the volume of sales Intel
>  is looking for.

A funny thing is that Microsoft is porting essentially a
32-bit version of Windows to Merced. All the programs for
Windows that want to use 64-bit support will have to be
modified because the MS compiler defines both int and long
as 32-bit. On the other hand the Unix compilers (at least
UnixWare and as far as I understood that's the common Unix
convention) provide a mode with 64-bit longs that gives
certain degree of 64-bit awareness just by recompiling.

>   And - let me add - Intel has been down this path before
>  (the i860) - and didn't see the success it wanted (although
>  the i860 is popping up in some interesting places now...)

Merced can run the x86 code. Not as fast as the native code
but I guess comparable to the Pentiums.

>   I suppose what this "rant" is all about is that I'm not
>  convinced Merced is the "chip of the future" that we all
>  need to be worried about.   I'm taking a "wait-and-see"
>  attitude.  [Also, since Microsoft has been working
>  closely with Intel regarding Merced for several years
>  now, and has yet to do anything `serious' - I believe
>  they are taking the same "wait-and-see" approach.  Likely
>  while telling Intel otherwise.]

SCO and IBM with their Monterey-64 project are considering
Merced quite seriously. Actually, as far as I know, for
Monterey-64 the availability of the Merceds seems to be
the limiting factor now.

-SB