Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2006 23:30:26 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <harry@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        =?utf-8?q?=E5=BC=A0=E9=9F=A1=E6=AD=A6?= <weiwu@sdf.lonestar.org>
Subject:   Re: tip(1) connect to another host with serial cable: vim display junk text

Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 09:52 schrieb =E5=BC=A0=E9=9F=A1=E6=AD=A6:
> Hello List.
>
> This is another stupid frequent question that might already get answered
> a thousand times, but I cannot do effective googles because the word
> 'tip' is too general.
>
> Local host is freebsd 6.1, remote host is Gentoo Linux. Both connected
> through serial cable on COM1. Now I wish to control Linux with my
> FreeBSD. This command can let me login to the Linux host
>
> $ tip com1
>
> But after I logged in I found using VIM would create junk text. It seems
> VIM do not know my terminal is very wide (more then 130 characters per
> line).
>
> So, how do I fix it? Google did give me a lot of 'tips' but none of them
> is related to my problem...

You have to tell the applications the correct terminal settings, meaning=20
number of rows and columns. With ssh or something similar this is done=20
automatically, with tty you would set it on FreeBSD like 'stty rows 25 cols=
=20
80'.
'stty -a' shows some tty settings, including rows and columns.
Alternately you could set some environment variables for vi, but that doen'=
t=20
work for all applications, so stty is prefered.

Best regards,

=2DHarry