Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:51:17 +0100
From:      "Jeff Rollin" <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: LVM support in FreeBSD

On 07/09/06, David Robillard <david.robillard@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi list,
> >
> > I'm wondering whether FreeBSD is able to support reading (at least, but
> > preferably also writing) Linux LVM volumes? I have an itch to try
> FreeBSD on
> > a desktop but all my data is in a Linux LVM.
> >
> > Is it possible?
>
> I really have no idea if it works, but have you tried to export your
> LVM volume via NFS and then mount it on your FreeBSD machine? All what
> FreeBSD will see is an NFS volume which we all know work very well.
>
> Just an idea,
>
> David
> --

Yeah, I'm sure that would work - I already export most of my data via NFS
anyway - except that the machine I was going to try it on is the one with
the LVM data, thus I can't export it as NFS from Linux whilst FreeBSD is
running on the bare hardware (or can I?). Thanks anyway.

(FYI, the other machine I *could* try it on is a laptop; I actually did
intend to use FreeBSD as the primary OS on it at one point, but had zero
luck with either of the wifi cards (one internal, one cardbus - the cardbus
one is there because the internal one also refuses to work in Linux) in it.
A laptop with no network access isn't much good to me! :-( )

Jeff Rollin
--
Proud Linux user since 1998