Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:37:02 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, dirk@freebsd.org
Subject:   cdrtools doesn't build on -current

All,

Sorry to cross post, but cdrtools is one of those ports that should be
considered a must-have for 5.0-RELEASE, especially now that we have
ATAPI-CAM.  Unfortunately, it doesn't build.  It appears to build,
but if you look back at the log, it's filled with errors that were
silently ignored.  As such, nothing builds that can be installed.  I'm
not going to post the log since it's pretty easy to build it.  The
only dependency, gmake-3.79.1_2, is up to date on my machine, and my
world was built and installed about 2 weeks ago.

**Warning, rant**
The ports collection is one of the crown jewels of FreeBSD.
Unfortunately, even as more ports committers are added, more and
more ports break or become harder to build.  On top of that,
pkg_add has become close to worthless now that the -r feature
is so fragile.  If 5.0 goes out and popular ports don't build,
it will hurt the image of FreeBSD.  Please, take a break from
adding new ports and/or maintaining your pet ports and fix some
of the broken-ness.

Scott