Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2017 23:13:44 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk not spinning up

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 23:02:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:50:42 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> >> The best approach is to per-warn up the drive hardware before trying
> >> to power it on. Put a bear light bulb or shine a flood light from a
> >> close distance on to the metal covered side, IE; not the circuit
> >> board side, until it gets almost to hot to touch. Then power it on
> >> and and away you go almost every time this happens.
> >
> >I will definitely add this as even more help.
>
> Usually it's worn out hardware from too many spin downs and spin ups. I
> doubt that aged lubricants are the cause.

Further impressions:

I tried with the "little hammer", but after the 1/4th rotation
cycles, the disk loght on the controller board starts flashing.

As I read about deconnecting the "flat wires in plastics" (flex)
to the head and powerin the disk on with heads disconnected,
the disk did the same. So I tought I'd examine how the spindle
motor is powered up. I found a connector with 4 pins on the
rear side of the controller, a connector which I don't exactly
know the correct term for: It's a soft rubber block with kinds
of wires on it, held in place with mechanical pressure from the
surrounding screws. Okay, I put the controller back, softly
attached with one screw only, and thought I'd power it on.

AND BEHOLD THE WONDER OF STRANGENESS - the disk started spinning!
A "Vrooooommmmm!" sound could be heared.

I don't know why I powered it off at that time - probably because
the controller wasn't actually fixed, and I didn't want to
connect the "forensics adapter" (40-pin side) to a shaky
circuit board. After fixating the controller again, the disk
started its stupid "I won't spin up, I just turn around a few
times, then start flashing a green light" dance.

So my assumption is: Maybe the power connector for the spindle
motor is "a little bit" flaky?

It's probably worth investigating that particular connection
closer, and play with the screws... that's almost engineering!

Turn screws, turn nuts - Schrauben drehn, Muddern drehn. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany