Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:05:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New mount/slice changes for root device

I updated to the revised versions of mount/kernel code for booting with
regards to the compatibility slice behavior.  Machines seem to boot just
fine, but dmesg reports the following:

npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to wd0s2a
IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, logging disabled

Whereas mount reports:

thithle:~> mount
/dev/wd0s1a on / (local)
/dev/wd0s1f on /usr (local)
/dev/wd0s1e on /var (local)
procfs on /proc (local)
mfs:23 on /tmp (asynchronous, local)
pr-fledge:/home on /home (nosuid)
pr-fledge:/homea on /homea (nosuid)
pr-fledge:/homeb on /homeb (nosuid)
pr-fledge:/homec on /homec (nosuid)
pr-chiron:/exports on /etc/auth/exports (nosuid)
thithle:~>

Apparently they disagree about what the root partition is.  Since the
machine works fine, I'm guessing it's an off-by-1 error in the kernel root
device reporting, but that is misleading as I was about to change the
fstab entry to match whatever the kernel felt was right from dmesg :).

This appears to be a bug -- of course, I could be misinterpretting. :)

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/
robert@fledge.watson.org   http://www.watson.org/~robert/