Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:29:35 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Window managers (was: Different OS's? Marketshare)

--lNUIWTPMMv70yN+D

On Wednesday, 23 February 2005 at 22:51:26 -0500, Chris Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>
>> [...] I keep wondering if [...] I should just continue with FreeBSD
>> and install X on the machine (and KDE, probably, since it seems to be
>> popular, although I welcome suggestions).
>>
>> Which window manager is the closest to classic UNIX window managers
>> (as opposed to wannabe Windows products)?
>
> It's not clear what you mean by "classic UNIX window managers" - maybe
> CDE or Motif?

Possibly.  It could also be something primitive like twm, of course.
That's available in the Ports Collection for people who want the bad
old days back.

> In any case I've never used them and can't answer that specific
> question.

I'd suggest fvwm2.

> As for the former... I installed KDE on my 4.10 machine a while ago
> just to have a look-see, and it seemed *very* Windows-y to
> me. "Start" menu, integrated file/web browser, etc. I don't care for
> it, and didn't bother reinstalling it after going to 5.3. If you
> don't want a "wannabe Windows product", I think you might not like
> KDE.

I think I could agree with that.

> Before and after KDE, I've been using fvwm2 - it's a relatively
> plain but very configurable window manager, though I suppose you
> could make it as fancy as you wanted.

Heh.  I moved to fvwm2 from mwm (Motif window manager), and there
wasn't too much difference there.

Greg

--lNUIWTPMMv70yN+D

--lNUIWTPMMv70yN+D--