Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 06:43:14 -0800
From:      "James A. Taylor" <archiver@db.geocrawler.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   user ppp, getty and baud rate

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "James A. Taylor" <jataylor@lundahl.com>
Be sure to reply to that address.

I have configured a FreeBSD server to provide
dial-in access using getty and user ppp.

In order to accomplish this I followed method two
in the user ppp man page for receiving incoming
calls. I set :pp for the defaut profile in the
/etc/gettytab file.

As long as I use std.19200 as the profile setting
for the ttyd in /etc/ttys then I can connect from
a remote (Win98) computer using ppp.  If I use a
different profile such as std.9600 or std.38400
then ppp is never started by getty.  It would
appear that getty doesn't recognize that ppp is
needed at other speeds.

I just tried logging in via a regular dial-up
terminal application rather than ppp and found
that at 19200 I get a login prompt however at
other speeds all I get is garbage characters.
This would explain why the ppp transmisions from
the win98 box are not noticed.

I have an Echo Communications 56K fax modem
attaced to the FreeBSD server answering the
incoming calls.  Typically I would like to use the
std.115200 profile and then have the modem accept
calls from modems of all speeds (14.4, 19.2, 28.8,
33.6 & 56.8) automatically adjusting the baud rate
as needed.

I have tried using two different computers to dial
in both of which work with our ISP.  One computer
has a SupraExpress 33.6k modem the other is a
Xircom 56T 56.8K modem.

Are their any suggestions on how I can get this to
work in such a manner that I can automatically
detect the baud rate and use that rate be it
14.4k, 56.8k or anything in between.

I have FreeBSD 3.1-Release installed on a Pentium
333Mhz system.

Thanks for your assistance
James A. Taylor

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive