Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:59:22 +0100
From:      Uwe Doering <gemini@geminix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linking disk utilization to a process

Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to link disk utilization to a process?
>
> I can see whether my disks are busy with systat -vmstat, but I don't
> know how to find out _which_ processes are causing the work.
>
> Ideas?

You could enable kernel system accounting (please see sa(8) and
friends).  While this is not realtime it may be okay for debugging
purposes.  The accounting log provides the command name along with a
number of readings, including the number of disk i/o operations.  Please
note that the accounting data is available for logging purposes only
after the respective process terminated.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini@geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net