Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 14:30:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave McCammon <davemac11@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: copy a harddrive and run that one

--- Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2002, a.s.gruner wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have a running freebsd 4.6-RC on my IDE
> harddrive.
> > Now i want to switch to an other harddrive, with
> the same size, but not
> > IDE, its a SCSI harddrive.
> > My question is very easy. How can i switch my
> running system, with all
> > my installed ports, the updates (i installed 4.0
> on the IDE harddrive
> > and now i have 4.6RC running), and so on, to the
> SCSI harddisk ?
> > Is there a way to copy the partitions ?
> > Or, if not, what is the best way ? Just install a
> new FreeBSD System on
> > my new SCSI device and copy the ports tree and
> /usr/src from the old IDE
> > to the new SCSI (also the /home ), and try to
> build a new system with
> > the sources i copied ?
> > Thanks.
> >

> If they were both IDE, you could simply put both
> drives in the
> machine and dd the original to the new one
>
> I *think* this would work OK with IDE to SCSI, but
> I've never
> done it. Let's say you had ad0 and da0 as the two
> drives.
> You would simply do "dd if=ad0 of=da0 bs=8096" .
> This will
> do an "image copy", making the partitions and
> everything. The
> 2nd drive *must* be as large as the first. If it's a
> little bigger,
> that's OK , but you'll not use the "extra" part.
>
> Also, here's something that will work with any
> drive, but it's a little
> tricky. First create 3 directories on the 1st
> drive's root partition
> called slash, newvar and newusr. Run
> /stand/sysinstall with both drives in
> the machine. Then choose "Custom Installation". Run
> "Partition", choosing
> the SCSI drive as the one you want to perform the
> operations upon.
> Usually, you want to choose the whole disk, then
> type "Q" and say
> "Yes" to the boot manager question. Then run "Label"
> and choose
> partitions to match the sizes of your / , /var and
> /usr partitions on
> the old drive. Mount them as /slash, /newvar and
> /newusr . Be sure
> to also make a swap partition. Then type "W" instead
> of "Q" to leave
> the "Label" menu. You will be asked if you want to
> continue. Say
> "Yes" and the new drive will be 'fsck'd' and
> mounted. Exit SysInstall.
>
> Now, cd to /slash and do " dump 0 -f - / | restore
> -r -f - ",
> cd to /newvar and do " dump 0 -f - /var | restore -r
> -f - "  and
> then cd to /newusr and do " dump 0 -f - /usr |
> restore -r -f - " .
>
> If it's easier, you can also use "rsync" from ports
> to copy
> the partitions. You need something that will create
> [...]

Did this last night except from IDE to same size IDE
(had sector failures).

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK

basically same as above but will give you another
reference.
Tip: You may want to mount the running drive as
read-only in case you accidentally cd to wrong place
and rm -rf.