Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 09:13:48 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> >Yes, bloat is added even when ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE isn't set.  Bloat is
> >added even when no ctype function is called (this is normal for most
> >programs in /bin and /sbin - grep shows "ctype.h" in only 25 out of 80
> >programs in /usr/src/[s]bin.
>
> It isn't accurate results. Many libc functions calls ctype
> indirecly, i.e. strtol, atoi, etc. You additionly need
> to grep ctype through libc and then grep function you got
> through bin/sbin. I suspect that 100% of programs use ctype
> for accurate results.

Andrey, you have to realize that Bruce reported precise numbers, whereas
you just "suspect".  Please prove you point, and provide hard numbers.

> 1) I don't care of bloat on my proposal, I care of easy way of locale using.
We've noticed already.

> 2) We already discuss that bloat on early days and agree
> let it be.
No, we agreed to let it stay in crt0.s until it had been put the right
place.  crt0.s is NEVER the right place.

> 3) I don't see proper way to avoid it for statically compiled
> pgms, so I don't understand what we can discuss here. Yes
> it isn't very good. Alternatives?
Put it in the programs that need it.  And only there.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
It will be some time yet before progress goes too far... (Poul Henningsen)