Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:19:59 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "buildig release" knob in make world/release

In message <9189.955552615@zippy.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
: I agree that there should be a knob, but I see it as a make.conf
: knob rather than a release knob since most people playing with this
: stuff build from sources rather than install snapshots.

Call it SANITY_CHECKING.  Have it be a number.  0 == RELEASE, 1 ==
DEVELOPMENT, 2 == development of risky things, etc.  It would default
to 1 in -current and 0 in -stable and for all releases.  I'm not sure
what the '2' level would actually do, but this whole discussion
reminded me of the -fblah -fbaz vs -O2 args to gcc, and thought it
profitable to do things the same way.  Maybe we never have a '2'
level, but it gives us that option.

It also dodges the issue of naming the various levels :-)

Set it in /etc/defaults/make.conf and away you go.

Warner