Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:32:07 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai writes:
> * Terry Lambert (tlambert@primenet.com) [990616 01:59]:
> > > An XFS LKM will only work with a *Linux* kernel. We are talking about an
> > > LKM, not some generic piece of source code.
> >
> > So long as they don't distribute it linked with the Linux kernel,
> > then it's not a problem.
>
> Replace XFS with softupdates, and we have almost the same situation except
> that the license is reversed (that is imposed on the `work', instead of the
> kernel).

You can't say that. Yet. SGI has not published the terms of their
license.

Something nobody has said yet, is with the release of XFS, The
Computing World That Gets Real Work Done stands a rare historical
chance to unify. Then again, wouldn't it simply be *awful* if Irix,
FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, and MacOS X, all used the same filesystem?