Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:38:38 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Re: IBM DB2

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
cc: emulation@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:38:38 -0800
From: Mike Smith <mike@dingo.cdrom.com>

> Hi,
>
> For those running Linux emulation and want to try IBM's DB2:
>
> http://www.software.ibm.com/data/db2/linux/

Ok.  I wasted Sunday on this sucker (and to think I could have cleaned
the bathroom instead...).

Their target with this build is clearly RedHat 5.2.  We're not there
yet in terms of environment support.  To play with it you will need:

 - a working /compat/linux/bin/rpm
 - libraries from RedHat 5.2, installed using rpm
 - /compat/linux/bin/sh, installed using rpm
 - /compat/linux/bin/ksh, installed using rpm

and that's as far as I've gotten.  We may also have problems with its
shared-memory requirements.

The documentation for this beast is pretty good; the installation
worksheets and general degree of assurance and handholding is fairly
confidence-inspiring, as is the fact that no matter how irritating,
they've actually taken the packaging requirements of the platform
seriously.

- --

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy