Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 23:52:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        matt@lkg.dec.com, kmitch@weenix.guru.org, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

Steve Passe wrote...

> good news indeed!
>
> >Slot 1: Matrox Millenium (IRQ 11)
> >Slot 2: Adaptec 3940UW   (IRQ 10)
> >Slot 3: Empty            (IRQ 9)
> >Slot 4: SMC 10/100 card  (IRQ 15)
> >Slot 5: Empty            (shares IRQ w/ slot 4)
> >	The bad thing, though, is that with this setup, it means I won't be
> >able to put anything in slot 3.  And if I put anything in slot 5, it'll
> >have to be able to share an interrupt with the SMC card.

> I don't think the millenium actually uses irq 11 for anything, how about
> swapping slots 1 & 2, ie let the ahc1 grab the irq that is being reserved
> for the vga card (but I *think* is unused)?

	Indeed, that works.  So now things look like this:

Slot 1: Adaptec 3940UW   (IRQ 11)
Slot 2: Matrox Millenium (IRQ 10)
Slot 3: Empty            (IRQ 9)
Slot 4: SMC 10/100 card  (IRQ 15)
Slot 5: Empty            (shares IRQ w/ slot 4)

	ahc1 now grabs IRQ 10 from the millenium, and things seem to work
okay.  This will hopefully enable me to add a video capture card at least,
and perhaps a second ethernet card.  :)

Thanks again,

Ken
--