Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:45:56 -0800
From:      "Eric" <eric@tek-shop.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIS & wheel/su problems

So I'm setting up NIS on our network and it seems like it's working just
fine. On the master server, I build the maps from the system files and my
user is part of the wheel group, so I can su. On all the NIS client
machines, no local users (except root of course) have been set up, so the
clients wheel group doesn't contain my user, but the NIS wheel group does. I
use the NIS include symbol at the bottom of the client machines group file.
Now I can log into these clients fine as myself, but they won't let me su to
root because the local wheel group is found first, and doesn't include me.
If I take the wheel group out of the local file, I get errors on bootup.

Is there a way around this?? Is there a way to augment a group with NIS
users??

Also, according to the handbook, I'm supposed to copy my master.passwd file
into the yp directory, and manually edit it to remove system accounts that
shouldn't be propagated. But that means everytime I add a user, I have to
add them to the master server, copy the file, and edit it all over again.
That seems too roundabout. The other problem with that is users who change
their password with yppasswd, have their new passwords destroyed when the
/var/yp/master.passwd is overwritten by the one from /etc. Is there a better
way to do this, or is it really a big deal to have the system accounts
appear in NIS. Can I just add, remove, and yppasswd users normally, and have
NIS use the /etc/master.passwd file so that everything is in sync??

Thanks

eric
www.tek-shop.com