Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:27:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj1066@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portinstall question

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 07:27:16AM -0500, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> On Sunday 24 October 2004 05:44 am, Bill Schmitt (SW) wrote:
> > I think I'm missing something basic, so if someone could point me
> > to where that is, I would appreciate it. I been installing
> > software using portinstall, but I think I'm missing something
> > basic because there seems to be more guesswork involved that I
> > expected there to be.
> >
> > How do you know what name to use for the portinstall to work? For
> > example, I wanted to install MySQL 41. The folders under
> > /usr/ports/databases include several variations on my-sql. Among
> > others are mysql323-server, mysql40-server, mysql41-server, and
> > mysql50-server. In the Makefile for mysql41 it states PORTNAME?=3D
> > mysql. But trying "portinstall mysql" or "portinstall mysql41" or
> > "portinstall mysql41-server" all result in a message that the
> > port doesn't exist. The command that works is "portinstall
> > mysql-server", which I found with a basic google search, but I
> > don't find that in the descriptions or Makefiles. Looking just at
> > what is in the ports tree (or anywhere else on a 4.9 system),
> > where would I properly find that name?

> I was just wondering why you would want to use portinstall to=20
> install new software, rather than (using your example port):
>  cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql-server41
>  make install
> Is using portinstall magical in some way? If you use the make=20
> install method, there isn't any guesswork as to what name to use.

portinstall is just portupgrade by another name.  Infact, it's pretty
much identical to 'portungrade -f'.  As to why anyone would want to
use portupgrade?  That's a no-brainer.  Just try it and you'll see.

To answer the original question, portupgrade or portinstall can select
a port to operate on in two ways.  You can either give it the package
name -- with or without the version number -- or you can give it the
port origin -- ie. the port directory relative to /usr/ports.  Now,
usually, the first part of package name is the same as the last part
of the port origin, but not always.  For instance the www/apache2 port
installs apache-2.0.52_1.  That similarity of names is what was
confusing the OP.  He could either have issued the command:

    # portinstall mysql-server-4.1.6

or

    # portinstall databases/mysql41-server

and it all would have worked.  The command he did use:

    # portinstall mysql-server

worked for him, but that was partly a matter of luck, as it happened
to default to the 4.1.x branch of MySQL. (Maybe he had
WANT_MYSQL_VER=3D41 defined in /etc/make.conf or some such -- the
default is to install databases/mysql40-server)

To find out what package name a port will install, just:

    % cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql41-server
    % make -V PKGNAME=20

portupgrade processes the /usr/ports/INDEX file into a database of
port origins and package names, which is why you always need an
up-to-date INDEX when using it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20