Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:00:00 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This just in: Microsoft/Sears Merger

At 11:23 AM 12/21/98 +0100, Juergen Nickelsen wrote:

>Hello Brett,
>
>Could you (re?)post that to -chat? After the Microsoft/Sears article I
>am quite curious. (Or just mail it to me if you think the list should
>not be bothered?)

Here's a copy of the satirical "news item" regarding the EFF. This
was put out on the Net in 1995, just after the EFF -- in a very
foolish display of political ineptitude -- allowed CALEA (the
FBI's pet wiretap law) -- to pass when it could have blocked it.
The Communications Decency Act was then introduced, and I, for
one, didn't trust the EFF not to sell the American people out
again. Hence the prank posting.

The posting had a number of tip-offs in the first paragraph,
and was accompanied by a note instructing readers to
read it ALL THE WAY THROUGH before responding. Yet, I STILL
got angry flames.

Here's the text, and -- remember -- it's ONLY A JOKE. ;-)

--Brett

---------------

**** Note: Be sure to read the following IN ITS ENTIRETY before responding.
Republication and forwarding OK if attribution and full text are preserved.

Washington, DC (UPI) April 1, 1995: In a remarkable turnabout,
the Electronic Frontier Foundation reversed its stance on the
Communications Decency Act of 1995 (S. 314), introduced by
Senator James Exon (D-Purgatory) and Senator Slade Gorton (R-
Perdition). This bill, now part of telecommunications reform
legislation in the Senate, mandates criminal penalties for
telecommunications providers or individuals who transmit material
that is deemed "obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, or indecent."

"Now that the language of S. 314 has been woven
into vital telecommunications legislation, it is unlikely that
it can be defeated," said an EFF spokesman. "The EFF is
therefore supporting an amendment to the bill allowing
'indecent' material to appear on computer networks only between
the hours of 10 PM and 8 AM, a restriction similar to those
imposed on network television stations.

"We feel that this is a fair compromise between the interests of
system operators and consumers and the desires of arch-
conservative legislators," said the EFF. "Under this provision,
operators of online services will have ten hours each night to
read all electronic mail messages, as well as the megabytes of
'network news' on their systems, and expunge any material that
any citizen anywhere in the United States might consider to be
indecent. Funding will be provided for a computerized reporting
system that will enable system operators to turn in those who
generate illicit material, such as sexually suggestive love
notes or messages advocating the use of condoms. Encrypted
messages will be automatically deleted, since they might hide
indecent content."

The EFF backed a similar compromise last year when it lent
crucial support to the Digital Telephony Bill. This bill, now
the law of the land, requires that all telephone conversations
be quickly and undetectably tappable at any time by law
enforcement personnel. The EFF supported the wiretapping bill in
return for a few token privacy provisions, which may be removed
by future legislation.

"This so-called compromise is reprehensible," said Brett Glass,
nationally-known computer columnist and privacy advocate. "Let's
hope that this article remains an April Fool's Day joke, and that
the EFF -- which many fear has forgotten its roots as an
advocate of electronic freedom and become an 'inside-the-beltway'
lobbying organization -- doesn't compromise or endanger our civil
rights and personal privacy this time around." <73>