Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:32:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Godzilla <tjarrow3@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directory Services

http://www.novell.com/advantage/w2k.html

That ought to get you the info you want.

On 12 Jan 00, at 12:50, Craig Beasland wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a couple of questions about directory
services.

> We have a client who currently uses NDS, can anyone
tell me or point me to
> somewhere which describes what is "directory
services".  How does Novell DS
> compare to the new MS Active Directory and to LDAP.

Depends on who's doing the comparing.  M$ has some
serious FUD out on
this.  Novell has some propaganda, too, but it is
based on a shipping
product with 7-8 years of experience, while MAD is
still vaporware
(although it may not be by the time you read this).
I've looked for
a while but can't find a URL to a recent Novell
white-paper comparing
& contrasting the two.

NDS is a database that manages user permissions,
printers, queues,
disks, servers, applications, and more.  NDS will
support LDAP so you
can run LDAP in conjunction with NDS for LDAP-enabled
applications.
NDS also supports NT4 right now, so you can manage NT
servers from
NDS, and it will reportedly support MAD when it ships.

support.novell.com/documentation should have some
useful info.

> Is there some directory services protocol that runs
on FreeBSD.  So far,
> everything that runs on NT (server services I am
talking about) seems to run
> better on FreeBSD, so why should Novell be any
different?

Novell is a solid OS.  I recently saw a screen-dump of
an Uptime
screen for a Novell server with 2106 days of uptime.

I'm pretty sure someone out there has something for
NDS for Linux,
but I don't know how portable it'll be to *BSD.
Caldera has netware
for linux, but it's bindery (pre-NDS) and doesn't work
with NDS.

Angus Scott-Fleming      GeoApplications, Tucson,
Arizona
angussf@geoapps.com   1-520-323-9170 / fax
1-208-248-3124
the message