Date:      Sun, 08 Feb 1998 18:35:19 -0500
From:      "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
To:        Current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current dying horribly when using lp0

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Do this again with a radix of 16.  When you find the damaged pointer
> > > in memory, then examine the region of memory before it and after it
> > > (again in hex).
> >
> >  Found out that mclfree is causing the trap12. It's pointing somewhere in
> > hyperspace when it makes my kernel crash. While I was digging around, I
> > noticed something I find weird. Is it possible to have more free clusters
> > than obtained clusers (mbstat.m_clfree > mbstat.m_clusters)?
>
> No.

Well, on my dump I've got mbstat.m_clfree == 39 and mbstat.m_clusters = 36

> Does "someplace in hyperspace", when you look at the resion in memory,
> look like an ethernet hardware address?

"someplace in hyperspace (mclfree)" == 0x30337a15and the ether address of my
ed0 card is 00:00:c0:5c:24:d0

> Are you running IP firewall?

Yes, it's an open one right new (as per rc.firewall definition) as I hadn't
time to configure it yet.

> Do you have a reject rule?

No

> Are you getting TCP packets in that match the rule?

No. See above.

> There is (was?) a bug in the IP firewall code that resulted in an
> input ehter address structure being written to, effectively, random
> locations on the kernel stack.  This is because the stack was used for
> a structure, and the calling code returned before the scheduled code
> completed.

Well, you never seem to be out of questions :) do you? Hope it will help you a
little. right now, I'm still trying to figure out how m_clfree could have
gotten higher that m_clusters. I'm gonna try with a kernel without
IPFIREWALL enabled to check if that changes something.

--
Stephane E. Potvin
sepotvin@videotron.ca