Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:39:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Seagull <seagull@aracnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: So long and thanks for all th... [scary spy product]

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Seagull wrote:
> PL> Long story short.  Workplaces that use *hubs* for their LAN are icky and promiscuous.  They pimp out your ehternet adapter ("NIC").  Workplaces that use *switches* are loverly.  Security is your buhhhhh-dee.
> But don't be lulled into a false sense of security in a switched

With computers these days -- especially if you use Micro$oft's
VBScript-loving applications -- there is no such thing as having "lull" and
"sense of security" in the same sentence.

> environment.  There's nothing to prevent someone from attaching a hub in
> an unsuspecting cow-orker's office and sniffing from there.  A lot of

Very good point.

> companies hide network drops under desks, behind furniture, etc. for
> asthetic reasons.  It's real easy to hide a hub and a network cable
> without anyone ever knowing.  And in some of the offices I've seen, you
> could probably hide a working laptop for a couple of days, too. Use as
> much security as your business conditions allow.
> Cheers,
> John
> --
>                                 \                carpe cavy!
> seagull @ aracnet.com            \
> http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull   \        (seize the guinea pig!)

I am really replying to this message because there's a really cool but
really scary product out there carried by most spy, surveillance, and
counter-surveillance retailers.  It's a rather innocuous-looking 1.3"
(approx. 11cm?) long or so regular-seeming keyboard adapter that goes
between the keyboard plug and the PC.  The adapter can log all keystrokes
up to 64k or something.  I guess if you saved your password in a plaintext
file then you could defeat this keylogger with copy/paste, but -- why??

Not long before everything involving controlled, private computer access is
any one of: retinal scan, artificial intelligent conversationalism (in case
of duress), facial recognition, warm fingerprint scanner (in case of
severed digits), etc.  Comments on the one-uppingness or
chicken-or-egg-first philosophies anyone?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder