Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 11:58:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern.dumpdev missing and freezes

Hello,

I got an ATA-RAID subsystem which can give me more than 1 TBs of disk
space. Because I want to use that on FreeBSD I started to play with
CURRENT (and RELENG_5_0).

The machine is a HP tc4100 with a HP (AMI/LSI) NetRAID 1M (MegaRAID) which
drives the system disks, a dual channel Symbios 1010-66 (u160) which has
nothing to do and an old Adaptec 2940U which has the disk array on it (due
to cabling issues).

The machine will be an NFS server, but only after it is stable enough,
which is currently not.

I installed this system to act as an FTP/HTTP/RSYNC server for performance
and stability testing. It died after 3 hours... I thought that a crash
dump would be good, so I did a big swap partition, compiled a debug kernel
and set the dumpdev to the swap partition.
dumpon at boot says "kernel dumps on /dev/amrd0s1b" (it is on the
NetRAID), but there is no kern.dumpdev sysctl.

The man page says:
"The dumpon utility operates by setting the sysctl(3) MIB variable
``kern.dumpdev'' to the device number of the designated special_file or"

So I assume there should be a kern.dumpdev variable, but no.
(RELENG_5_0 and HEAD too)

If I enter to the debugger with ctrl+alt+esc and enter "panic" I get:
db> panic
panic: from debugger

syncing disks, buffers remaining...
done
Uptime: 17m32s
amr0: flushing cache...done
Dumping 511 MB

Dump failed writing header (19)

Dump failed writing data (19)

Dump failed writing trailer (19)

Dump complete
Terminate ACPI
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

What did I wrong? (I have DEBUG=-g, DDB in my kernel config, tried
GENERIC and a custom kernel, both with RELENG_5_0 and HEAD as of today)

There are a lot of more problems here, BTW. The machine ran FreeBSD 4 for
months without any problems. With FBSD5 I faced a lot of problems. For
example with background fsck.
If the system panics, it reboots. It can safely get through the standard
filesystems, like /, /tmp, /usr, /var, but not for /mnt, which is a 1.2 TB
filesystem.

I get the login screen, the background fsck starts. I can login (in about
5 minutes, because the machine is quite slow when the fsck runs), but
after 8-10 minutes the disk activity stops and the machine freezes.
I can switch consoles (ALT-Fx), but cannot type in anything. I can ping
it, but the daemons aren't running (although they are listening on the
ports).
Once I left the machine in this state for about 1 day, but the effect
remained, so I assume it was dead.

Could you please help me to solve these problems? (or at least the first,
to get those crash dumps to you)

Thanks!

----------[ Free Software ISOs - http://www.fsn.hu/?f=download ]----------
Attila Nagy					e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu