Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:11:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lin <c1test@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Do I need to run RouteD/GateD?

Hello there,

  I am trying to set up a simple net work at home.
Here is my exisiting setup:
1) I have a DSL router which does NAT which everyone
on the LAN connects to.  The address for the DSL
router is 1.2.3.1
2) Everyone on the LAN connects to the router and uses
1.2.3.1 as gateway (net mast 255.255.255.0)
3) I have a FreeBSD box (1.2.3.10), which I have my
mail server, webserver, and other goodies on it, which
everyone is happily connected to.
4) I set up DHCPD already, so everyone is getting
their addresses in the range I specified.

  Now, I want to use my FreeBSD box as a public
wireless base station using Orinoco card (wi0). In
theory, everyone close to me can connect to the
wireless interface.  So, here is what I am thinking
about doing:

1) I have recompiled my BSD box with ipfw on, and ipfw
working, and I have set "gateway_enable=YES" in my
rc.conf
2) I want to take my laptop and connect to my BSD box
wirelessly and get address from the DHCPD, and I want
to be able to access all the resource on my wired LAN.
 e.g. the mail server, webserver, or chat with another
person on the wired LAN.
3) I am semi paranoid about all the hackers in my
neighborhood, so, I want to use IPFW on some of the
traffic from my wireless interface.  And since IPFW
can ony block base on IP addresses, not ETHERNET
address, this basically forced me to use DHCPD to
assign FIXED ADDRESS to known ETHERNET ADDRESS.  (this
makes DHCPD looks like an overkill.)  So, now I can
finally use IPFW rules to block evil traffics from the
wireless interface

  So, finally, my question: on the wireless side,
everyone uses the FREEBSD as the gateway, so I can see
the traffic can go from wireless side->FreeBSD->DSL
Router->Internet.  But, how about coming back?  Do I
need to run routed, or gated so that everyone on the
wired LAN knows to use the BSD box as a router?  How
does the DSL router know how to send packets back to
the wireless side?

Thanks,
Howard

P.S : Any good security suggestions are welcomed as
well.  :)