Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2010 18:36:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, =?utf-8?Q?Edward_Tomasz_Napiera=C5=82a?= <trasz@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Migrating from NFSv3 to v4 - NFSv4 ACL/permission confusion

------=_Part_1262449_480579799.1291678576944

> This requirement is problematic for me right now for a variety of
> reasons including that I'm not using LDAP or NIS (although I will in
> the future). Is there anyway to get NFSv4 to behave like v3 in this
> respect so that these users don't need to exist on the NFS server
> side?

Nope, sorry. NFSv4 uses names on the wire, so the server needs to know
them as well as the client.

(Early in NFSv4 development and testing,
implementations were "cheating" and using names like "504", but that
wasn't covered by the RFC and I don't know which ones will still do
that. I've got a hunch that the FreeBSD code still has that in it,
but only if there is no translation for the number. You could try
doing a "chown NNN blah" locally on the server, where NN is joe's uid,
and then see what the "ls -l" on the client shows, but that won't fix
your "chown joe blah" case on the client.)

So, unless you can put "joe" in the server's /etc/passwd, I think you'll
need to stick with NFSv3 until you've adopted NIS or LDAP.

rick

------=_Part_1262449_480579799.1291678576944--