Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:50:09 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <fonvi@club-internet.fr>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Miro PC/TV for Secam users: problem and solution

Hi,

I sum up my problem and his solution, maybe it'll help someone in the
future.
Few weeks ago i wanted to make run my Miro PC/TV (bt848, 2 crystals,
Philips Pal/Secam tuner) on my freebsd box.

so i tune my kernel:

device          bktr0
options OVERRIDE_TUNER=6 # Philips Secam

# i2c
controller smbus0
device smb0     at smbus?
controller iicbus0
controller iicbb0
device ic0      at iicbus?
device iic0     at iicbus?
device iicsmb0  at iicbus?

Well all is detected at boot. So il configure fxtv with the good
frequencies.
I launch fxtv, surprise: only distorded images :((
So i try all configurations in the kernel, but no way...

After search, and contacts on french mailing-lists and newsgroup: i
release that i'm not alone with these pb!
Secam tuner seems not work with freebsd's bt848 drivers...

So i posted on freebsd-question and Juha Nurmela (thanks to him) give me
the solution:

> Find this line on brooktree848.c
>
> { 0xa0, 0x90, 0x30,0xa4 } },         /* the band-switch values */
>
> and try changing to
>
> { 0xa7, 0x97, 0x37,0xa4 } },         /* the band-switch values */
>
> Note that there are multiple such lines, use the one
> You selected.

I had the same pb with my second tv card : Guillemot Maxi TV Pci2
(bt878, one cristal, Philips Pal/Secam tuner) and it runs with the
source change. The card is detected as a FlyVideo by the kernel (i
use last driver). All is good but when i switch channels i hear bad
switching noise...
I try to change the CARD_FLYVIDEO record with the help of the bttv.c
but without good result...

Marc

Sorry for my bad english :(