Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:04:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: periodic

--WhfpMioaduB5tiZL

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:41:53AM -0400, synrat wrote:
> after upgrading from 4.7 to 4.8 I'm not getting any periodic output.
> I run periodic daily manually and it finished without errors and output,
> ( I don't know if it should have output in cli )
> but I got no e-mail notificataion. rescheduling it to run isn't a big
> deal, but why am I not getting the output via email ?

If you'd modified your /etc/periodic.conf to redirect the standard
nightly e-mails, I assume you'ld remember that you had done that.

So: probably because your sendmail setup didn't survive your upgrade
very well.  Can you send a test message while logged in as root to
root?

    # mail -v -s test root <<E_O_M
    test message
    E_O_M

Check the delivery status of the message if it doesn't come through
straight away:

    # mailq -v=20
    # mailq -Ac -v

and look for clues in the maillog:

    # tail -20 /var/log/maillog

One thing that may be biting you is if you've happened to replace the
/etc/mail/aliases file with the default version.  That means mail to
root will get delivered to the /var/mail/root mailbox.  Almost
invariably this is not what you want, so make sure you've aliased
root's email address so the mail gets delivered to a real person.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way