Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:47:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Nucking Futs <nuckingfutsto@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disable PING command

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Nucking Futs wrote:

> How would I go about disabling users command to ping?  If need be I would be
> willing to just disable the ping command altogether as a last resort.

Well - anyone could compile a fresh version; or copy a version from
another machine into his home dir or /tmp; but if you ignore that type of
level of ability in your user a small obstacle would be:

	# ls -l /sbin/ping
	-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  421060 Apr 28 15:49 /sbin/ping
	# chmod a-rx /sbin/ping

which makes it executable only to the owner and those member of wheel.
Which users generally are not. But ping is not exactly a dangerous command
- so why worry about it ?

Dw