Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:33:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jfieber@grendel.csc.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        jcassidy@proton.genesoft.com, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ascii version

Jonathan M. Bresler writes:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 1995 jcassidy@proton.genesoft.com wrote:
> > Hello, where might I find an ascii version of the Handbook?
> > I'm at the cottage and would like to read through it, but
> > would rather read it offline due to long distance charges.
> >
> > If you could provide me with an ftp site and path name, I
> > would be grateful.
>
> 	if you have the sgml and a system running, you can use 'sgmlfmt
> -ascii <file>' to get the ascii version.  it really does leave something
> to be desired.

Or you can fetch
http://www.freebsd.org/How/handbook/handbook.txt.  Even better,
you can grab the HTML files
(http://www.freebsd.org/How/handbook/handbook-html.tar.gz) and
view them offline using your favorite HTML browser.  Just start
with the file handbook.html.

And yes, the ASCII version leaves a LOT to be desired, like cross
references, decent formatting and the like.

-john

=== jfieber@cs.smith.edu ========== Come up and be a kite!  --K. Bush ===